Explore other activities in this series:
Humming Bee Exercise
Click to download the postcard (PDF)
The humming bee breath is an excellent Yoga exercise for relieving stress, anxiety or low mood
- Sit comfortably
- Feel your feet connecting to the ground and the crown of your head reaching up
- Place your fingers gently over your eyes, thumbs cover your ears
- Breathe in through the nose, breathe out through closed lips and hummmmm…
- Notice the vibrations in your head and chest
- Repeat up to 8 times, gradually extending the breath, (stop and return to a normal breath if this begins to feel strained or makes you feel dizzy)
- Notice any changes of sensations in your body
- Take a moment to rest. Place your hands on your lap. Breath normally and gradually open your eyes. Only move when you feel ready
Watch a guided video with Jagjit
Only do this exercise for as long as it feels comfortable, don’t strain or extend the breath if it feels uncomfortable. Stop and return to a neutral breath pattern if you feel dizzy.
Yoga can be an excellent way to get some gentle exercise and relieve stress. Govanhill Baths runs a FREE weekly Yoga class with Jagjit that is suitable for all levels. The class is currently taught on Zoom, every Tuesday 11am-12pm. Booking and more info here.
Here are some links for more information
Yoga Journal. Use “Bee Breath” to Get Anxiety to Buzz Off. Interesting article on the benefits of Humming bee breathe.
New to Yoga? Why not try this beginners video to get you started?